Tommy’s Chicken Noodle Soup From Scratch
- 2kgs chicken necks/bones.
- 3L water.
- 2 large onions quartered.
- 2 carrots halved.
- 1/2 bunch spring onions.
- 2cm ginger halved.
- 500g chicken thigh fillets (skin on).
- 2 tbsp salt reduced soy sauce.
- 1 gai lan or bok choy cut into 4cm pieces.
To garnish (optional)
- 1 pack of fried shallots.
- 4 sprigs coriander chopped.
- 3 sprigs spring onion chopped.
- Dried wholewheat noodles (get a variety plus some macaroni elbows too), cooked as per packet instructions.
- Place chicken necks/bones, water, onions, carrots, spring onion, ginger, chicken thighs and soy sauce into a large pot.
- Bring the pot to a boil and turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 15mins.
- Remove the chicken thighs and place on a plate to rest, covered.
- Simmer for at least another 45mins skimming every 15 mins (the longer you simmer the better flavour you will get).
- Remove the carrots and set aside.
- Strain the broth into another pot.
- Bring the broth to a medium simmer and add your bok choy or gai lan.
- Cook until just al-dente (approx. 5 minutes).
- Cut the chicken into thin slices.
- Into a bowl, place a handful of noodles, some slices of chicken, carrot, and some greens.
- Pour a generous serving of broth into the bowl and garnish with coriander, spring onion and fried shallots.
Parents can enjoy this meal as well and can add extra salt and soy (to taste) plus chili to complete the meal.
For information on our Only About Children Food Ambassador, MasterChef Tommy Pham, click here.
Learn more great recipes from MasterChef Tommy Pham: