Twisty Tuna Pasta With Cheese Sauce
This family favourite is sure to be a hit at dinner time:
- Spiral pasta (250g)
- 1/2 cauliflower finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 finely diced brown onion
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 can (420g) of corn kernels
- 1 cup of thawed, frozen peas
- 2 cups of milk
- 200g of grated cheddar cheese
- 500g of drained, canned tuna
- 1/2 punnet of cherry tomatoes
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions (reserve 1 cup pasta water).
- Boil cauliflower until soft then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, heat a drizzle of olive oil and add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add corn, peas and cauliflower to the pan, sauté gently for a few minutes
- Pour in half of the milk and stir until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the remaining milk slowly, stirring constantly. Add tuna and cheese and mix to combine.
- Add pasta to the pot along with 1 cup of water that the pasta was boiled in (this will help to thicken the sauce) and mix to combine.
- Serve pasta with sliced cherry tomatoes.
Winter Warming Porridge served with Cinnamon & Pear Compote
The perfect breakfast for all the family on a cold winter morning:
- 1 ripe, chopped pear
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of milk
- To make compote: place pears, water and cinnamon into a small pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
- To make porridge: place oats and milk in a pot on stove and stir over medium heat until oats soften and absorb the milk.
- Stir the pear compote through the porridge and serve topped with seasonal fruit.
Cacao Banana Muffins
Made with healthy oats and a simple method, these cacao & banana muffins are a tasty snack for the whole family:
- 2 large bananas
- 2 cups of oats
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of pitted dates
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line muffin tray(s) with paper cases or spray muffin tray with olive oil.
- Mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips, if using) in a blender or food process or until smooth.
- Fold through chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake for 20 – 30 minutes or until cooked.
Ricotta & Avocado Dip
The perfect post daycare snack for the little ones:
- 1x Avocado
- 1 tub of Ricotta (250g)
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 a juiced lemon
- Chopped veggie sticks
- Scoop flesh out of the avocado and place it in a large mixing bowl or blender. Add lemon juice, ricotta and garlic and mix well or blend to combine.
- Serve dip with veggie sticks
For information on our Dietitian-designed menu offerings at Only About Children see our Nutrition page.
Plus, here’s more great nutrition related articles: