Tips to stay safe over the holiday period20 Dec 2019
At this time of the year, our thinking usually turns to a summer break or a well-earned rest after a busy year. However, from a safety perspective, we cannot take the focus off, or, neglect our procedures and systems at this time, or in fact at any time of the year.
According to SafeWork, during the December and January festive season, there is an increase in workplace injuries. The distractions of Christmas, holidays and the New Year can mean that safety is less on people’s minds.
It’s important that all team members and children get to go home safely for Christmas and New Year, so to make certain this occurs, it’s important to refocus!
Our top safety tips
- Stay alert and aware of your surroundings
- Look out for additional hazards - and if you do see one… eliminate it, isolate it or escalate it
- Stop and focus on your job tasks
- Risk assess any high-risk activities or problem tasks
- Ensure that you and your team are mentally and physically ready to perform duties – especially important after festive celebrations
- Avoid at-risk behaviours including rushing, frustration, complacency or post-holiday fatigue.
- Look after yourself! Getting enough sleep, drinking water and exercise are proven methods for improving concentration during the workday.
Remember, safety never takes a holiday
While it is important that we de-stress, relax and rest during our holidays, remember not to drop the ball or turn a blind eye to high safety standards that we should be aiming for at all times.
Wishing you a fabulous, enjoyable and safe festive season!