Child Care Subsidy (CCS) FAQs

Am I able to claim Government rebates if I enrol with Oac?

Yes, we are a registered childcare provider which means that eligible families can claim the Government benefit relating to your childcare.


What is the Child Care Subsidy?

The Child Care Subsidy (CCS) is the main way the Government assists families with their child care fees. The CCS helps parents with children aged 0 – 13 who work, train, study and/or volunteer.


How do I know if I’m eligible for the Child Care Subsidy?

There are certain requirements that must be satisfied for an individual to be eligible to receive the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) for their child. These include:

  • The age of the child (must be 13 or under and not attending secondary school)

  • The individual, or their partner, meeting the residency requirements

  • The combined family income meeting the specified requirements

  • The child meeting immunisation requirements

  • The activity level of your family-

How do I apply for the Child Care Subsidy?

Follow this link which will guide you through making a claim for the childcare subsidy


Important information is required to assist with making your claim:

  • A myGov and Centrelink online account or access to speak over the phone or in person at a Centrelink office

  • Claimant and child CRN (customer reference number)

  • Family income and activity details

  • Supporting personal documents

Once you have received your childcare subsidy assessment letter from Centrelink, you will need to:

  • Provide us with your and your child’s CRN details so we’re able to make a connection to Centrelink to ensure you can receive CCS payments. It is important that we receive both CRN’s as a connection can’t be made using only one.

  • Once a connection to Centrelink is made, you will receive notification to approve the enrolment notice. Instructions on how to do this can be found here

  • Visit the enrolments tab in your Centrelink account to approve your child’s childcare details (i.e. the campus they are enrolled at, days they are enrolled and the daily rate)

How much will I be subsidised?

There are three things which will determine your level of subsidy:

1. Your family income (combined or individual depending on your family status)

2. The activity level of your family. Your activity level is the ‘recognised activities’ that enables a family to claim a subsidy (e.g. work, study or training) up to a maximum of 100 hours per fortnight based on the parent with the least number of hours.

3. The type of childcare your child will be attending. Oac is classified as Long Day Care.

For more details, and to obtain an estimate of what your Child Care Subsidy could be, visit the Child Care Subsidy website ( or contact the Department of Education and Training on 1300 566 046.


How many absentee days can my child take from child care and still be eligible for the CCS?

Families are entitled to 42 absence days per child, per financial year. You may also be entitled to additional absence days in certain circumstances (e.g. illness of a child, a parent or sibling). In shared care arrangements, the allocation of 42 absences per financial year relates to the child, not each individual claimant.


Are there any additional Child Care Subsidy or support payments I can access?

For additional support, such as the Temporary Hardship or the Transition to Work payments, please contact Centrelink directly.


Do I need to put a request through Centrelink for my second child?

A new claim needs to be made for each of your children even though it is based on your combined family income and activity.


How, when and where do I make a claim for childcare subsidy?

It is good idea to start your claim process as soon as you are considering starting your child in childcare. Claims can take over 4 weeks to process so the sooner you make the claim, the more likely the claim will be approved by the time your child commences care. The claim needs to be made through Centrelink. You can find more information on making a claim here


Why is my bill different each week?

If you don’t have enough CCS hours to cover all your care per fortnight, then your fees may be different each alternate week. Your activity levels relate to the number of hours of care that subsidy is applied to each week. For example; If both guardians are working fulltime (80hours per fortnight), they will be entitled to 100 hours of subsidised care per week. If their child attends 5 days per week at a service that operates for 11 hours each day, they will use 55 hours in week 1 leaving them with only 45 hours for week 2. This means the fees charged in week 1 will be lower than week 2.


Why is the start date in my Centrelink account different to my actual start date?

The start date of your agreement may be earlier than your childcare start date as this connection can be made prior to the commencement of care. Even though the agreement date may be earlier, no childcare subsidy will be paid until attendances have been sent to Centrelink in your first week of care.


Do I have an annual cap?

Your letter of assessment will note if you have an annual cap or not. The cap is not applied to all families and is dependent on the income associated to the claim. If your family earns $189,389 or less, you won’t have an annual cap on your subsidy. If your family earns between $189,390 and $353,680 your subsidy will be capped. This means Centrelink will subsidise your fees up to the annual cap of $10,560 per child each financial year. 


How far will Centrelink backpay?

Centrelink will back date payments up to 28 days.


Where do I go to find out more information?

Common Issues with Receiving the Child Care Subsidy

  • The details of my child’s enrolment are incorrect, e.g. the days enrolled do not match/there is an extra casual day recorded or not recorded/ the day rate is incorrect

    • Prior to disputing the details in myGov, please contact us on 138 OAC so we can discuss any issues with your child’s enrolment and if so, what steps need to be taken to correct them.

  • There are no enrolment details in myGov

    • Please check that you have given Oac the correct CRN numbers for both the claimant and your child, and that you have completed your myGov assessment so you are registered to receive the CCS. Whoever made the claim for childcare subsidy is considered the claimant even though in some cases the claim is based on a combined family situation

  • My CCS connection has ended

    • This may be due to taking extended leave (more than eight weeks or 6 weeks if you are outside the country). All CCS payments will be automatically be ceased by Centrelink if a child has not attended care for more than eight weeks. A new connection will need to be made upon return to the centre.